Clearly we can’t make any promises about the weekend weather, but one thing’s for sure – it’s going to be a great weekend to explore Michigan with free admission to all State Parks June 8th and 9th. A few recommendations below.
If you’re like me, you’ve already sprung for the recreation pass on your vehicle registration. I can’t get ENOUGH of our state parks. However, if you’ve passed on the rec pass this year… USE THIS WEEKEND to your advantage! Free entry will be granted into all of the 103 Michigan State Parks. Also, you can fish for free without buying a license – this weekend only. (Other fishing laws still apply.)
Don’t have time for a big road trip? Some of my more local camping recommendations are:
- Holly (19 miles / 19 minutes from Flint) Big spaces, woodsy, tons of walking trails AND a great beach with giant inflatables. The giant inflatables managed by a private company are extra $$, but still cool to check out! Bathrooms are a bit of a walk, so plan ahead and enjoy the journey!
- Metamora (22 miles / 26 minutes from Flint) Serene. Although it has plenty of spaces, if feels intimate and private somehow. Check out the great walking opportunities and a small lake. Bring your mosquito repellent and you’ll be just fine.
- Bay City (55 miles / 52 minutes from Flint) Who really thinks of Bay City as a getaway? (I used to live there, but SINCE then, have camped a few times and loved it!) Swimmer’s paradise! Walk across the road from the campground to take a dip in the Saginaw Bay. Some have said it is mucky, but I didn’t find that to be the case at all.
- Lakeport (73 miles / 1 hour 10 minutes from Flint) The furthest drive on the list, BUT far and away my favorite! The campground is just steps from the Lake Huron shoreline. Simply unbeatable sunrises and sunsets.
- Bonus recommendation: Seven Lakes (17 miles / 20 minutes from Flint) Haven’t camped at this one, but I’ve driven around and it looks LOVELY.
If you can pull together a camping trip this weekend (and the weather behaves), any of these parks would be a great bet. See them all at MIDNRReservations.com.
Which Michigan State Parks are your favorites? Let us know on the CK 105.5 Facebook Page. It’s a Great Michigan Summer – let’s get out and enjoy it!